Granular Detail from Baseball
We are big fans of the Cision platform. Unless you are in earned media and PR you won’t hear about this much. Their social listening capabilities can’t be beat in our opinion. Check out the granularity of detail they recently provided on MLB: ABd uses this platform to analyze data generated from social media to manage your programs more effectively based on the persona of your potential customers.
In a recent Cision whitepaper, for example, they break down The New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, San Francisco Giants and the Toronto Blue Jays. They examined the social media mentions of 8,386,000 baseball team Twitter followers to determine their interests, demographics and regions — right down to what sort of food they most often discuss.
1. The New York Yankees are the most recognizable brand of the seven Major League Baseball teams that we analyzed with more than 350,000 followers from countries outside of North America (United States, Mexico and Canada).
2. The Toronto Blue Jays have the greatest proportion of followers within three key age demographics, of 18 – 24, 25 – 34 and 35 – 44
3. Jerry Seinfeld has the most fans of any comedian among the audience analyzed
4. The Chicago White Sox have the highest proportion of home city followers
5. Chinese food is most discussed food among the audience analyzed, classic rock the preferred musical choice
6. Baseball followers have a keen affinity toward basketball and football, but also comedy and science fiction
7. The Toronto Blue Jays’ outfielder José Bautista is the most influential personality between all seven teams, followed by sports journalists Adam Schefter, Erin Andrews and Ken Rosenthal.